Seasonal HVAC Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
Seasonal cleaning and maintenance of your HVAC system is essential to keeping your family comfortable all year long. And while you may have to change the filters a few times throughout the year, the spring and fall are usually the best times to perform more thorough cleaning and maintenance. Doing so will ensure that your system is working well as you move into summer and winter, the seasons when you rely on your HVAC system the most. Use the tips below to plan your seasonal HVAC cleaning and maintenance.
Fall Seasonal HVAC Tips
As you get closer to winter, it’s a good idea to ensure your HVAC system is up to the task of keeping your family warm until spring. Here are a few tips to make sure your furnace will be running well throughout the coldest months of the year, and that your air conditioning system is protected against snow and ice:
- Clean around the air conditioning unit. Making sure the central air conditioner unit outside is free of leaves, twigs and brush. You may want to purchase a cover to keep snow and ice off during the winter.
- Replace air filters. A dirty filter restricts airflow, making your system work harder and reduce its efficiency. Replace the filer in all units with removable filters, which may include furnaces, air conditioners, air handlers, humidifiers or air cleaners.
- Check the furnace and ductwork. Before you turn your furnace on for the winter, it’s a good idea to have your HVAC system and ductwork checked by an American Standard Customer Care dealer. Our certified dealers will make sure your system is running smoothly, and that your ductwork is free of blockages.
Spring Seasonal HVAC Maintenance
As the snow starts to melt and the spring season starts, you’ll want to re-examine your system to be sure it’s ready for the fair weather ahead. A few spring maintenance tips you may want to perform on your HVAC system include:
- Replacing your filter. While you also did this in winter, changing the removable filter in each of your HVAC units every season helps to prevent pollen and other particles that can agitate allergies from getting into your home. You may also want to consider an air cleaner to further reduce seasonal allergies and particles in your home.
- Testing and cleaning your cooling systems. Having a maintenance check and HVAC cleaning from an American Standard Customer Care dealer can help to increase the efficiency of how your system runs. You can also identify and fix small issues with your HVAC system before they become expensive repairs.
- Clearing your outdoor condenser. Making sure the outdoor air conditioning condenser is free of any weeds or vegetation, and that air can move freely around the unit.
To get professional assistance maintaining your HVAC system throughout the year, contact your local American Standard Customer Care dealer today.